Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Packed.

yep.

believe it!

and to relax, I ate an entire pint of Ben and Jerry's 'Vermonty Python'. oh yes, I am well aware that it is 224% of my daily dose of saturated fat alone. ... I just couldn't resist. chocolate cookie crumb swirl ... Coffee liqueur Ice cream ... FUDGE COWS FOR GOODNESS SAKES! the cows get me every time. How can you not be delighted, elated, and more than a little bit giddy about eating molded frozen chocolate bovine? they're even standing on a little patch of grass ... so cute ... so unwitting. Plus - 40% of my daily Vitamin A dose. come on. where else are you going to get that? see. it's even healthy.

but here is the totally odd part. We all know that it's a pint ... right ... and it does say pint on the front ... but where you expect to read the volume it says 473 mL ! Metric Volume! there's more - the recommended serving size is one cup (foolishness to begin with ... that's like one spoonful) - clearly a volume based measure - but the parenthetical equivalent listed is 106 grams !!! mass??! what is going on here? visit your nearest scoop shop and demand an explanation. also - while you're there, comment on the density ratio of their ice-cream to water.

Water, of course has a density ratio of 1 Kg/L or 1 g/mL and is the general base unit for most sweet physics calibration measurements. And if their claim is correct (yet to be verified precisely with more pints ... scientific method after all) then there are 424 grams per 473 mL of volume - meaning that at a density of .8964 their ice-cream is LESS DENSE than water! easily 10% lighter than the equivalent volume of water! ...sure doesn't feel like it...

So ... does that mean that if I eat as much B&J as I would have drunk as water ... I will weigh less ? wow ... brilliant!! maybe I should try the 'Dublin Mudslide' calling from the freezer and see if the numbers match up ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1. phish food
2. vermonty python
3. dublin mudslide
4. chocolate chip cookie dough

Those are the four best flavors. Not in my opinion, it's a fact. Taste tests by me prove it. Maybe the density conundrum is related to the ingredients, after all, if you think about the things like cookie swirl, that may lower the density- but on the other hand the density of chocolate is somwhere abouts 1.3g/mL, and..
Wait! Isn't the ice cream frozen?? Think about the water content. Frozen water. Lattices. Lower density. When they pack it in the containers is it frozen or do they freeze it after? Does melted B&J have a higher density? (I would suppose so.)

Yeah I'm sick of reading alzheimer's research and have no roomate, so blame my long comments on that. I'll go think about this. Thanks, and it's good to hear you're having fun in NJ!